Friday, January 11, 2013

piecework

Business as Usual
Guess I haven't written for awhile--the frenetics of the holidays does that to me.  There is so much to be done, only a tiny fraction of which gets accomplished.  But the holidays come, anyway, and we have a great time being together, whether or not the turkey is cooked to perfection, or the house decorations are perfect. 
This year, my son and husband were in charge of dinner for the family Christmas.  They did a marvelous job, and I think started a new tradition.  At least, I am in favor of it as a tradition, as I got to spend my day NOT in the kitchen, and it was just wonderful.  I got to go to my teacher-daughter's classroom and watch her try to control 30 5th graders on the afternoon before winter break, and help with a craft project.  It was so much fun.  Sara is a marvellous teacher, very unflappable, rolls with the punches, relates to her students.  One of those teachers kids will remember years later.
 So, it has been busy, but also eventful and satisfying.  I do miss talking to my son, though.  He is only 20 miles away, at school, and seems to be doing very well.  I'm so very glad for that.  He has matured a great deal in the last two years.  Why is a daughter easier to talk to than a son?  Is is the age, the gender, or have I not yet morphed from "Mom" to friend who also happens to be mother?

No comments:

Post a Comment